You are visitor number:

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Dangerous Territory


My oldest daughter has now entered dangerous territory; middle school. It makes me a little nervous what she will be exposed to. Admittedly, it makes her a bit nervous too. She is most worried about not knowing anyone in her classes. While several of her friends from elementary school are also attending the same middle school, none of them are in her homeroom or classes. Scary.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel, however. Everyday, she comes home with an improvement in attitude toward her new school. Like any of us, it is taking Meredith a bit of time to feel at home, somewhere new. With every passing day, the dangerous new territory becomes a bit more familiar to her, and perhaps to me as well. I have to be careful not to pass my anxieties on to her. Of course, her fears of middle school are very different from my fears, but still just as real.

4 comments:

Charlotte said...

We just went through the same thing with our oldest. He was nervous about middle school, but not as much as I was, and not for the same reasons. After a week or so, we were talking about getting used to the routine, and he told me that he had gotten turned around a few times, or intimated, or just plain scared. I asked him what he did, and he said "I prayed." Wow moment for me.

Alan said...

Charlotte, what a testimony to your guidance in his life. Thanks for sharing.

George said...

Just remind Mer that some people become best friends in middle school.

Alan said...

George, a story which I have told both of my children many times. Thanks, old friend.