You are visitor number:

Thursday, April 1, 2010

What a Beautiful Evening...


...it was tonight as I watched the sun go down in a 70 degree paradise. This is my favorite time of year in SC. Just having thrown the Frisbee with the dog, I settled into the hammock and viewed the blackening silhouette of the trees against the fading blue of the sky, specks of starlight beginning to appear. As the frogs squeaked and croaked in the distance, the fireflies began to come out of the tops of the trees slowly descending closer to the ground, yellow caution signs flashing. A squirrel played noisily in the fallen leaves of the woods to my right and a owl hooted from somewhere in the distance, still deep in the shelter of the trees. To my left, Jenna was practicing piano in our living room, a disjointed version of Dukas' The Sorcerer's Apprentice and Leslie was in the kitchen preparing the family meal for the evening. Bats occasionally fluttered over my line of sight and the hammock creaked as it rocked gently back and forth.

Then, slowly descending on a silk string, a spider landed in my lap and I popped out of the hammock like a spider monkey on crack. As nice as it was, it was over for me. That squirrel was starting to get on my last nerve anyway. Still, I do love this time of year. Well, my allergy medicine awaits. Good night dear friends.

1 comment:

George said...

HA! That was very poetic until I laughed so hard that I peed my britches.